This is a small, little visited Wat in the center of the old walled town of Chiang Mai. It is an active temple with a vihard, 2 chedis and a kuti. Built over 700 years ago it is also known as Wat Sadue Muang, which translated means “temple of the city naval” referring to its city center location.
The exact age of the Wat is not known but in 1296 King Mengrai of the Lanna Kingdom placed the Chiang Mai City Pillar on the temple grounds. It was not until 1800 that the pillar was moved to Wat Chedi Luang.
Just recently a viharn was built to enshrine the Wats Buddha image which had previously been kept in a simple shed. The viharn is an ornate dark wooden building on a stone base. This Lanna style building has a multi-tiered roof with large boards adorned with Naga serpents, golden chofahon the roof ends, and a front gable decorated in gold colors. Naga serpents guard the entry stairs while ornately decorated pillars support the roof. Enshrined here is the principle Buddha image which was made in 1794 and named Luang Pho Khon.
The oldest structure here are 2 brick chedis. The circular chedi dates back to the 15th century while the octagonal chedi is from the 14th century.
Also on the grounds are the Kuti – monks living quarters.
Finally, there is the Inthakin museum. Here on display are paintings of historical events, various models, old musical instruments, weapons, utensils, pottery and Buddha images.
The Wat is across from the 3 Kings monument and within walking distance from Wat Phra Singh.