This is a small, little visited Wat in the center of the old walled town of Chiang Mai. It is an active temple with a vihard, 2 chedis and a kuti. Built over 700 years ago it is also known as Wat Sadue Muang, which translated means “temple of the city naval” referring to its city center location.
The exact age of the Wat is not known but in 1296 King Mengrai of the Lanna Kingdom placed the Chiang Mai City Pillar on the temple grounds. It was not until 1800 that the pillar was moved to Wat Chedi Luang.
Just recently a viharn was built to enshrine the Wats Buddha image which had previously been kept in a simple shed. The viharn is an ornate dark wooden building on a stone base. This Lanna style building has a multi-tiered roof with large boards adorned with Naga serpents, golden chofahon the roof ends, and a front gable decorated in gold colors. Naga serpents guard the entry stairs while ornately decorated pillars support the roof. Enshrined here is the principle Buddha image which was made in 1794 and named Luang Pho Khon.
The oldest structure here are 2 brick chedis. The circular chedi dates back to the 15th century while the octagonal chedi is from the 14th century.
Also on the grounds are the Kuti – monks living quarters.
Finally, there is the Inthakin museum. Here on display are paintings of historical events, various models, old musical instruments, weapons, utensils, pottery and Buddha images.
The Wat is across from the 3 Kings monument and within walking distance from Wat Phra Singh.
Wat Jed Yod
This Wat was built in the 15th century, specifically during the reign of King Tilokkarat of the Lanna Kingdom from 1441 to 1487. The Wat shows many architectural styles including Lanna, Rattana Kosin, Lao, Chinese and Indian. In 1477 the 8th World Buddhist Counsel was held here to discuss the scriptures of Buddhist teachings.
The viharn is the dominate structure and is where the Wat gets its name. Jed Yod means 7 peaks which refers to the 7 chedis on top of the structure. The outer walls are decorated with 70 Theawada figures in different postures. The bas reliefs are sculpted with great detail and while some figures are in very good condition, many others have been damaged or are missing altogether.
Inside the viharn you’ll find a large seated Buddha on a pedestal with a smaller Buddha image in front of it. To one side of the viharn there’s a tunnel like structure enshrining a large sitting Buddha image. Next to the viharn are 2 large gongs with several bells plus the more modern ubosot is to the rear of the viharn.
There are 3 chedis, the largest being of Lanna style and named Phra Chedi has a square shape and a tall spire. It was built in 1487 to enshrine the ashes of King Tilokkarat. The second chedi with a brick base has collapsed while the third with an octagonal shape and multiple levels and is missing its top.
The second viharn is elegant and of Lanna style with a 3 tiered roof with an ornately decorated facade and Naga’s at the stares to guard the entrance. You can also see a large Bodhi tree that is said to have been planted by King Tilokkarat.
The Wat is located 2km northwest from the old walled city.